Saturday, September 4, 2010

Seasonal Affective Disorder

I was never really on board for the seasonal affective disorder thing. It sounded like an ailment that was 'discovered' so that someone, somewhere could make some money... But, last winter changed all that, and I am now a firm believer of SAD (see, it even has it's own cute little acronym). So, my goal this winter is to not. be. SAD. Seriously, there is no way I can handle a winter like the last...I pretty much..slept for the entire winter..

In anticipation of the onslaught of clouds, snow, depression, and grey (ie. SAD), I am on a mission to eradicate this stupid thing from my life.

When will then be now?
According to the Internet : "As with other types of depression, antidepressant medications and talk therapy can be effective. The first part of that sentence goes to my original belief; somewhere, someplace is making money on...just take a pill, and everything will be WONDERFUL ! Sorry, I don't buy it, will never buy it....Other places on the Internet site the lack of sunlight as a cause of SAD. While this too costs money to fix, it is not a drug, and I am more inclined to go that route.

Also, in my experience, I really did not do anything all winter, I went to work, came home...and slept.

So, for me, I think some sunlight (or close approximation), and ACTIVITY, are called for...
  1. Step one : I just bought a new camera, and I am determined to hit the streets, taking a million   pictures..The best of which will be found at When Will Then Be Now ?
  2. Step Two : Cooking. Lately, I have discovered the new wonderful world of Cooking. And I am working on a website that is basically 'Cooking for People Who Don't Know How To Cook'.
  3. Step Three : I might try something like this : HappyLight Full Spectrum Light Therapy System
  4. Step Four : ???? Have any ideas ? Leave a comment. Email. Talk to me...

No comments: